dental implants to replace missing teeth
Other options can include a denture or a bridge. Dental implants look, function and act like teeth. It is the most modern and advanced method to restore missing teeth.
Are dental implants the best way to replace missing teeth?
This is entirely dependent on the person and what teeth are missing. It is also dependent on the amount of jaw bone. See bone grafts.
There are numerous factors to consider:
- Would you rather have a fixed or removable option? Today most people would rather have a selected option for their problem
- Timeline: placing an implant is a longer process compared to making a denture or bridge
- Surgery: although most people claim having an implant is like having a filling done, there is a surgical aspect to implant placement
- Adjacent teeth: A bridge and denture can negatively affect the adjacent teeth. Implants do not harm the surrounding teeth.
We believe that dental implants are the gold standard to replace missing teeth.
What is a dental implant?
An implant is quite simply a screw made of titanium that is placed in the jaw where a tooth would originally have been. Once the implant has fused with the jawbone, an impression or scan is taken, and a crown is placed onto the implant. How long will implants last?
What types of dental implant treatments are there:
Dental implants can replace:
- Single teeth
- Multiple teeth
- Retain dentures
What can happen if I don’t have a dental implant, bridge or denture?
You don’t have to replace your missing tooth/teeth; it is entirely up to you. However, if teeth are not returned, then certain biological factors will start to happen over time:
- Teeth on either side of the gap begin to tilt and drift into the space, and this can eventually affect the bite
- The remaining teeth are at a higher risk of fracturing because they are overworked.
- Bone, where the missing tooth was, will begin to shrink and recede
- You may start to notice your speech is affected
Need a second opinion?
Have you considered cosmetic treatments at other practices like Invisalign but think it’s too expensive and would like a second opinion? Take advantage of our free cosmetic consultations to see what our professionals can do for you instead.